Possible Career Choices for Working with Children

Possible Career Choices for Working with Children

If you have decided you would like to pursue a career dedicated to dealing with children, there are several potential possibilities that can be considered. These careers allow you to work with a broad range of children or can be focused to work with a particular segment of the population, or a specific age group. All career paths in this industry require specific training and education. Below are the most commonly selected career choices among people who work with children.

Teacher: This career is typically focused on one particular age range, such as kindergarten, elementary school level, middle school level, or high school level. Teachers are responsible for educating children on a wide variety of topics; however, some teachers may specialize in one specific area of study. In order to become a teacher, you will need to hold a bachelor's degree in education, as well as become certified to teach in your particular state. Pay varies a great deal by location, and typically ranges anywhere from $25,000 to $35,000 per year. 

Daycare Provider/Early Childhood Educator: This career is similar to that of a teacher; however, it is completely devoted to working with children under the age of five years old. In most cases, these care providers design curricula, report to certain bodies of government, evaluate students, and work directly with parents. Daycare providers also handle day-to-day operations of the facility such as purchasing equipment, hiring and training employees, and arranging schedules. A bachelor's degree in early childhood education or childhood development is generally required for this position, as is basic first aid certification. The median salary range for early childhood educators is about $50,000 per year.

Social Worker: This field covers a broad range of careers dealing with children; however, the most common are child protection workers and children's counselors. People who work in this vocation typically deal with matters of child welfare and emotional issues, as well as children's physical health. This can be a very difficult occupation due to the fact that some situations may require you to remove children from dangerous circumstances, recommend hospitalization or correctional facilities, or deal with a wide range of disturbing situations. These careers can be private or government based, and usually requires a minimum of a master's degree in social work or psychology. The average salary range is about $35,000 to $70,000 per year.

Juvenile Probation Officer: These officers work with children who have been in trouble with the law and who must undergo some form of rehabilitation. This job involves supervising children and ensuring they fulfill the requirements set forth by the court. Probation officers work on an individual basis to help young people understand and change their course of action. They work to put the child on the right path in life, back in school, and back with his or her family. Holding counseling sessions, designing programs, and completing assessments may also be required. A bachelor's degree in psychology, criminal justice, or social work is needed for this position. Juvenile probation officers typically earn between $40,000 and $60,000 per year.

Camp Counselor: The camp counselor position is usually seasonal and temporary. These counselors work with children to instruct them on various topics, projects, and activities. The pay for this job varies a great deal by location, as well as the duration of the job, and has an average pay of about ten dollars per hour.

Pediatrician: Pediatricians are medical doctors that specialize in helping children. This career can be quite rewarding, but can also be very demanding. These physicians are required to perform routine physicals, diagnose, and treat children up to the point of adolescence. Training takes a good deal of time and requires a bachelor's degree with a Pre-Med concentration, as well as the completion of a four-year medical degree. A three-year pediatric residency program must also be completed, followed by a certification program. Pediatric residents earn up to $40,000 per year, while independent pediatricians can earn up to $200,000 per year.

Schools Offering Early Childhood Education Courses: