Check Your Spelling
Ok... yes we live in the age of "Spell Check". And yes, we all depend too much on our computers to correct us these days. But the fact is that spell checking software usually include "variant spellings" which can be found in the dictionary, but may not be acceptable in formal writing. Spell checking software cannot thoroughly proofread a text nor can it correct common spelling errors like homophones or homographs for example. http://www.all-about-spelling.com/homonyms-homophones-homographs.html. This is why it is important to self-check your spelling skills. Below is a list of 50 commonly misspelled words. Take the test below and see if you need to brush up on your spelling capabilities!
Choose the correct version* of the two options given.
*There are often spelling differences between American and British versions. For this test, we are only using the American version.
How did you do on the test? Below is an index of spelling sites to help you improve your spelling:
- Spellingcity.com http://www.spellingcity.com/
- Spellingtime.com http://www.spellingtime.com/
- Kidsspell.com http://www.kidsspell.com/
- Yourdictionary.com http://www.yourdictionary.com/
- Myspellit.com http://myspellit.com/
- Spellingpolice.com http://www.spellingpolice.com/higher/pun.html
- Differences between American and British English http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwesl/egw/jones/differences.htm
- Homeworktips.about.com http://homeworktips.about.com/library/quizzes/spelling/bl_spelling_quiz.htm